Friday, January 11, 2008

There's Really A Baby In There!

This morning was my first prenatal visit. We got to the doctor's office right at 8:15, the scheduled time. Shortly after filling out some information about the pregnancy, I was called back to give a urine sample in essentially, a Dixie cup. Gregg and I waited a little while in the exam room for the nurse to come in and take my weight & blood pressure. My BP was good and I've gained a couple of pounds since I saw our PCP three weeks ago. The nurse confirmed the date of my last period, then told me to strip from the waist down so the doctor could do an internal exam.

Dr. Myers came in a short while later and briefly went over my current medical history. Then she said she was going to do an ultrasound! I was really surprised. I thought I wouldn't have one until my next visit. The doctor did a quick pelvic exam first and asked Gregg to stand by my side so that he could see the screen. Baby B appeared right away! It was kind of hard to tell what we were looking at, but the doctor said everything looked great and that he or she is measuring at eight weeks so my due date of August 21 is right on schedule.

Then she pointed out the tiny flutter of the heart. It was incredible. Gregg said out loud, "That's amazing." The doctor told us we'd have our first baby album picture! She printed out the first photo she took and gave it to me. She continued viewing... I guess the uterus from several different angles to look for different things, like if there was another baby somewhere in there (there isn't!) When she was finished, she said I should come back in three weeks for a complete medical history and physical exam. I will be having visits every four weeks from now on, until my third trimester when they'll become more frequent.

The doctor answered some questions for me next, such as to how to get rid of constipation (yes I know, TMI!), before leaving. I made another appointment for February 1, which will put me at 11 weeks. Gregg and I left the medical center in a daze. It was so wonderful to actually see our baby, but surreal at the same time. It was very reassuring seeing the heartbeat and knowing that Baby B is developing properly. Wow! I'm still amazed.

We're going out for dinner tonight to celebrate our wedding anniversary, and also our little miracle! Five years of livin' our love song- I can't believe we've been married that long already. It's been both a wonderful and difficult journey. God has truly blessed us abundantly.

4 comments:

cdsbutterfly said...

It's absolutely amazing to view your baby for the first time. It really makes it all a reality! Glad to hear everything is well.

Amy said...

Very Cool!!!

audreybreier said...

Seeing your baby for the first time is so amazing! Reading your post just makes me ready to do it all over again :) I'm so excited for you!

LCP said...

Congrats...it is amazing, isn't it. To see that little bean...a thousand words couldn't describe it.

Can't wait to hear more about your new journey!