Friday, July 31, 2009

A New Day

A year ago today, I found out when I would get to meet my son for the first time. I had a routine appointment at the doctor's office and the nurse-midwife confirmed that what had been the case two weeks prior was still true- that Colton was breech. She explained that I had two options, either have her attempt to turn the baby or go ahead and schedule a C-section. A trial of labor was not discussed, though I'm not sure I would have been on board with that knowing the risks involved. Not feeling comfortable with the whole turn the baby thing, I opted for the Cesarean and it was scheduled for the week before my due date. For the past eight months, August 21 had been burned in my mind as the most likely day when my little boy would make his grand entrance into the world. But now I had a new date: August 14.

I spent the next two weeks leading up to his birth day trying to enjoy the rest of my pregnancy, preparing to go on maternity leave, and attempting to stay off my feet as much as possible. During this time, I watched the final episodes of So You Think You Can Dance (this season isn't nearly as good as last, IMO) and they had brought back the couple that danced the waltz to "A New Day" by Celine Dion. It was one of my favorite dances during the season, and when I saw it performed again I sobbed the whole time thinking of how my world would be changed so incredibly by the birth of my own son very soon. I could not imagine a better day than the 14th of August for him to have been born.

No comments: