Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Birthday Party and Trip to the "Owie Place"

Colton might not remember his first birthday party, but I've got 136 pictures to prove that it actually took place! I didn't want to miss a moment because hey, you only turn 1 once.

It's a good thing that we had it indoors, since it was so miserably hot outside. I made a ton of chicken marsala the day before to serve, and we also had penne pasta, bread, salad, cheese & crackers, and chips. There was so much food leftover, but I'm glad we had more than enough for everybody. Colton was kind of overwhelmed with all of the people that we had over. I tried unsuccessfully three times to get him down for his morning nap, but he knew sometihng was going on and didn't want to sleep with the chance he might miss anything. I thought he was going to be super cranky during the party, but he did okay.

When it was time for presents, Colton wasn't really into them at first. He kept crawling away to play with something else, and I had to keep bringing him back! Eventually he started tearing the wrapping paper with us, but he was still much more enthralled with the cards, envelopes, and tissue paper. He got lots of fun & educational toys, along with books, clothes, and a push toy that converts to a ride on. My mom and stepdad bought him a toy chest, which will be great to store all of his old and new toys.

Colton wasn't quite sure what to make of the slice of cake we put in front of him, but soon his hands and mouth were covered in blue icing! I took the plate away after a while so he wouldn't go into sugar shock, and Gregg put him right in the tub to clean him up. Shortly after everybody left, Colton fell asleep and slept from 5:30 that night until 6:30 the next morning.

Here are some pictures of his big day!


Opening presents




Digging into his cake!


After being hosed down in the bath tub.

Monday night, we took Colton for his one year check-up. He went from the 75th percentile in height and weight to the 50th, probably because he's so much more active now. Last time he weighed 21 lbs. 12 oz. and this time he was 22 lbs. 8 oz. He also only went from 29 inches and a quarter to 29 inches and a half. Colton had to get a few more shots, and he screamed his head off during them. I didn't know whether I felt worse for him, or the nurse! We have to take him somewhere else to get his anemia and lead tests done. I am not looking forward to that at all. He goes back in November for his 15 month check-up.

Of course yesterday, he gets a runny nose which he probably brought home from the pediatrician's and hardly napped. He was really clingy all day, too. Not even ten minutes after I put him in the crib last night, he woke up crying and wouldn't go back down. Gregg brought him into bed with us hoping he'd fall asleep, but all Colton wanted to do was play. So after a while, he just put him back in the crib and Colton cried off and on for close to the next hour. He's never done this before. I wanted to go in there and comfort him, but I knew if I did neither one of us would get any sleep. With all that fuss he put up, Colton ended up sleeping until 8 this morning. I was actually able to grab a shower before 10am today! What a paradox: Colton gets showered with presents and cake one day, and poked and prodded and stuck by complete strangers the next. Poor little guy.

No comments: