Monday, March 07, 2011


So everything went great at my doctor's appointment last Friday. We saw our little sweet pea and his or her heart beating away! It was very reassuring. We told Colton that the baby was on "tv", and he said "baby?" and then asked for the remote!

It turns out that I'm further along than I thought. The baby was measuring at 9w2d, when the date of my LMP put me at 8w3d. I told the doctor I was pretty sure that I ovulated early in my last cycle, on day 12. But that still doesn't make up an entire week! After not getting pregnant our first month of trying, I started paying super close attention to everything once I got my period at the beginning of January. I wanted to see if there was anything I could do naturally to help the process along, and stumbled across the Billings Ovulation Method. You basically observe and record the amount & consistency of cervical mucus from the first day of your cycle to the end. By charting, you're then able to tell when your most fertile days are. I started noticing a change from a basic infertile pattern to a fertile one two days after my period ended, so I am almost positive that I did ovulate on day 12. The Billings Method is a little confusing to figure out at first (and sounds gross), but I highly recommend it. I always just assumed that I o'd midway through my cycle on day 14 or 15, and if I had stayed with that assumption, our timing would have been off. It's also useful for preventing pregnancy, too.

Anyway, the doctor did not see a need to change my due date yet. She said we would wait and see if the baby continues to measure that far ahead in the months that follow. After the ultrasound we met with her in her office to discuss delivery options. She told me that they will not induce a woman who has had a prior C-section, because of the risk of uterine rupture that violent contractions could bring on. So I'm not allowed to go past my due date, but if I go into labor on my own before then they'll let me try a VBAC. At this point, I think I've decided that I want to try a vaginal birth if it's possible. I feel so much better knowing that I actually have a choice. The C-section totally sucked, but for some reason I don't think delivering "naturally" will be all that much better either. I really don't want to tear down there. But I also don't want to go through another major abdominal surgery and be so drugged up I can barely hold my newborn child. I still have 7 more months to weigh my options.

For now I am just so glad that baby #2 is growing and developing correctly. God is good!

No comments: