Thursday, September 11, 2008

4 Weeks

Colton is four weeks old already! I can't believe how time is just flying by. It seems like he's always been a part of our family, yet only 4 weeks have passed since his birth.

I'm feeling more comfortable in my role as mommy, though there are plenty of times when I start to think this taking care of a baby thing is getting easier, that Colton changes the tide on me. I'll think I have his cries and routine figured out, but in reality there is no routine. As he grows, he also changes. What he wants today might not be what he wants tomorrow.

If there's one thing I have learned, is that babies are messy. Colton must go through three different outfits in a day between all the spitting up, peeing, and pooping. I feel like I am constantly cleaning him up. He also throws my whole schedule off. Often I don't get into the shower until after noon, and don't eat lunch until 2 or 3. At the end of the day, I'm exhausted but feel like I didn't accomplish a thing! With his feeding schedule, I get about two hours of uninterrupted sleep at a time. Sometimes I'm so tired I can't think straight.

But when I'm holding him after a feeding and he nestles his head between my neck and shoulder, I forget all about the lack of sleep, the dirty diapers, and the mountain of baby laundry. He is so worth it.

No comments: