Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Autumn Leaves and Such

Me thinks it is time for an update, seeing as how it's the end of September already. Fall has definitely arrived- the mornings are cool and crisp, leaves are changing color and falling to the ground, and I feel a cold & sore throat coming on. I ALWAYS get sick around this time of year when the weather changes. I could seriously use some chicken soup and Vitamin C right now.

First off, things at Gregg's job are going really well. He recently designed something with his super fantastic IT skills that will help streamline a lot of things his company does. The president of the company was very impressed and presented it to a group of other wholesalers to use as a great resource in their own businesses. He said that Gregg should license and sell it, and any profits would go directly to him rather than the company. The president also sat down with my husband in an impromptu meeting last week about his success there so far, which could very likely mean a promotion in the near future. We're both pretty floored by this, since he's only been at this job since January. I'm glad he's being recognized for all his hard work and effort though!

As for me, I finally joined a MOMS Group. I inquired about my local chapter on the website, and got a response almost 20 minutes later. The woman who contacted me was also kind enough to pick me and Colton up the morning of their monthly meeting and for a playgroup the following week. It turns out she has a car seat that's not in use during the morning since her oldest daughter is in school. There's about 15 active moms right now, mostly with kids two and under. I'm happy that I can get out of the house once in a while to meet with other mommies, and that Colton can play with other kids his age.

Gregg and I talked about him taking the train into work occasionally too, so that I can have the car during the day. We tried it out for the first time a couple of weeks ago, when I had a doctor's appointment in the evening and he had to work late. The train station is less than five minutes away, which is great, but it did take him a long time to make it to work. We figured that it would cut his commute significantly if we just drove anotehr ten minutes out of our way to drop him off at another station that doesn't have quite as many stops. It's not the most convenient arrangement, but it'll work for now.

I knew moving back to Jersey would be expensive and that staying at home full-time would be a sacrifice, but I didn't think it would be as tight as it is. I didn't anticipate that our minivan would blow up on us back in February, leaving us with only one car that we scrambled to replace the van with. Our plan shortly after moving back last year was to get a second car in addition to the van. I do wonder sometimes if it's worth it for me to go back to work. While Colton is still this young though, I think it's ultimately better that I'm home with him and we'll just have to make the financial sacrifice for the time being.

Now that my little boy is getting a bit older, he is trying to do a lot of things on his own and I feel like I can't take my eyes off of him for a second. I feel guilty that I get so frustrated with him for repeatedly playing in the dog's dishes, or touching/throwing all the diaper changing supplies while I'm trying to dress him, or crawling over to the nightstand to play with the remote control for the 100th time. Even though Colton's only 13.5 months, I know he knows what "no" means. There's really no way to discipline him at this stage other than putting him in the pack 'n play for a very short time-out and using a firm tone of voice. He may not listen very well, but I don't think he's necessarily doing things on purpose and at least he's not aggressive.

The nursery situation is still touch and go. The week before last, he did stay there for the entire hour and cried off and on. He was really tired because that's during his nap time, so he tried to lay down on the floor and go to sleep! This past Sunday, I made it through most of the service before a nursery worker came to get me. He had calmed down a little, but then started up again and when I got there he was hysterical. I just ended up staying in nursery the rest of the time so he wouldn't freak out. Even with me there, it took him a long while before he'd let me put him down on the floor to play. I don't know what to do. I feel really bad leaving him there, but I'm with him every minute of every day and this is the only "break" I get to have during the week. All I'm asking for is one hour!!

Other than that, Colton is doing great. Gregg's mom came to pick us up on Friday to get him his first pair of shoes. They're so tiny and cute. I do think they help him "walk" better. He's still not really walking yet, just cruising. Aside from getting into things he shouldn't, he is a really good baby. That temper does flare up every now and then, though, when he doesn't get what he wants!

1 comment:

Jay and Ange Fotography said...

Congratultions to Gregg on his job! That's amazing that his boss wants him to license a product and sell it.

I can't say I'm a big fan of fall myself, I'd really rather summer - especially since its supposed to snow here this weekend :(

I hope Colton grows out of his nursery anxiety soon - I'm crossing my fingers that its just a stage and will pass quickly.