Saturday, May 31, 2008


It's amazing how fast a week goes by when you have a holiday on Monday. I feel like I blinked and it was Friday already. Not that I'm complaining; I love weekends. It was so nice to get away for a few days last week. We left late Friday afternoon and headed up to the campsite. Our friends Frank & Lynn were generous enough to let us use their camper, which was fully stocked. When we arrived we unloaded the minivan, then stopped at the grocery store nearby to buy some snacks and a rope to attach to Tess's leash so she could wander as we ate outside. As it grew dark, Gregg built a camp fire and we made s'mores. We sat for a while in front of the flames, unwinding from the week.

The next morning, we took our time getting up and ready. I had to try and fit my pregnant booty in the shower which was the size of a Cracker Jack box. At least I had hot water! Around 12:30 we met up with Ryan and Anita where they were docked, and spent the afternoon with them on their boat. We sped out to the middle of the lake where a whole host of other boaters were anchored out, playing music and swimming. When we got back, we cooked hamburgers and veggies over the fire pit and made hobo pies. Gregg left his hobo pie maker in the fire too long, trying to get it nice and hot, and it ended up melting!

On Sunday we were really lazy and didn't leave the campsite until about 2pm. It was nice not having any kind of schedule to adhere to. We got ice cream at Dairy Queen and drove around exploring the area a bit. We also went to a few places trying to find a pie maker so we could replace the one that was destroyed, and ended up at Walmart. Since the camper had a t.v. and a DVD player, we picked out a movie while we were there. We got Juno, which I really enjoyed, but thought they could have developed the characters more. The film could have explored the theme of teen pregnancy and adoption more, too. IMO, the lead character was so casual about giving up her baby. That night, we went out for dinner and just came back to the camper to watch some t.v. before going to bed.

Monday after lunch we cleaned up, packed the car, and finally headed home around 3. Coming home from vacation is always bittersweet. We were both looking forward to sleeping in our own bed and using our own shower again (the bathroom in the camper makes ours look like a castle), but I wasn't quite ready for the work week to start up with its agenda and responsibilities. In fact Tuesday was pretty rough for me, but I got back into the swing of things as the week progressed.

Yesterday morning, I downed the lovely bottle of glucola syrup for my gestational diabetes test. It tasted like slightly fizzy orange soda. Then I drove to the lab to have the blood work done. I hate getting blood taken, but the procedure was over very quickly. I'll get the results at our next doctor's appointment this coming Friday.

We begin childbirth education classes on Monday night! Or as Gregg says, "we're going to learn how to poop out a baby". They last for three weeks and conclude with a tour of the hospital. I'm both excited and nervous. I think I've underestimated the pain and physical toll of labor, and I'm fearing I might learn otherwise. It's good to be prepared though, right? I know that no matter how bad it could be, I'll have Gregg right there by my side the entire time supporting me. I have no doubts about his ability to be a great labor coach. He can be calm and steady while I freak out, ha ha.

I am still amazed at how well this pregnancy is going. Already two-thirds of the way through, and I've only experienced minor discomforts so far. Those of you who have already had children are thinking, "Ha. She's so naive. Just wait for months seven through nine!" Yeah, I know it will probably be a different story in the August heat & humidity, when my stomach is stretched to the max and my feet are the size of beach balls. Women who have given birth in August made no bones about how hot and miserable I'll be. Thanks, ladies.

I really can't wait to finally meet our little boy, who we've affectionately been calling "Bubba", because we haven't yet decided on a name. Next weekend we're going to get cracking on the nursery, and I know I'll spend time in there over the coming weeks daydreaming even more about what it will be like holding our son, feeding him, dressing him, and just loving him to pieces.

28 Weeks:


Christine said...

Hopefully your doctor has told you this, but being in the medical field I thought I should pass along the info...don't get too worried if you test positive for the gestational diabetes because there is a high rate (at least 1/3 of the time) of false positives. You are pretty fit, and I'm sure eating right - so I'm sure you have nothing to worry about! Can't wait to hear more as the days and weeks pass. :)

LCP said...

Too cute of a belly!!

I had a great first pregnancy, through the summer. But I was due in early Sept. Didn't get miserable until the last 6-weeks with carpel tunnel and cankles and just couldn't wait for Josey to be born. But, there is such thing as a very pleasurable pregnancy you may get lucky!