Monday, January 05, 2009

A Little of This and That

Well, it's just the two of us. Okay, three if you count the dog. Gregg left at 5:30 this morning to catch his flight to Michigan for his new job, and he'll be back sometime Wednesday night. We've been home together now for over a month, so it's weird not to have him here with me. I think with all that togetherness, though, we were kinda getting on each other's nerves.

I know my husband is excited to start work, and I'm relieved that we'll have a steady income again. I still hate when he goes away overnight. I don't like being all alone at night in an empty house and sleeping by myself. But it's what we need to do, in order for Gregg to jump start his new career. And it's only two nights.

I had plenty to keep myself busy today, too. I did two loads of laundry, unpacked a few more boxes, dusted, and took care of Colton which always takes up a fair amount of time. It's not hard to take care of him; it's just so time consuming with all the feedings, diaper changes, and "general maintenance".

Now that I'm a SAHM, I need to make sure I still do stuff for myself once in a while. I'm so glad Gregg got me the Gilmore Girls Season 1 boxed set for Christmas so I can indulge in a little carefree, girlyness. The Gilmore Girls is one of my all time favorite shows. I started watching it in college when it first aired and have enjoyed watching the unfolding drama of Lorelai and Rory. I watched the first five episodes over the weekend. There are 21 in total!

I really am enjoying staying home with my son. I don't miss working outside the home. It just gets a bit lonely sometimes. Colton continues to be a pretty easy baby. He still sleeps through the night with no problem and is usually content to just sit in his bouncer or walker with a toy while I'm folding laundry or eating a meal. He only gets really cranky when he's hungry or when I put him down and he still wants to be held.

Colton now grabs EVERYTHING and tries to put it into his mouth. It's so funny watching him try to fit the entire Lamaze cube toy in his tiny little mouth. Then he gets frustrated, like why aren't you going in?? He'll grab a whole fistful of my hair several times a day, which is making me seriously consider cutting it all off. Now I know why most moms have short hair! He will also grab the tabs on his diaper while I'm changing him. It's cute, but it makes changing sessions more difficult because I have to pry one side of the diaper out of his hand and quick fasten it before he grabs ahold again.

He's started making that happy baby squeal, seemingly to nothing in particular, and usually when he is entertaining himself in the crib or bouncy seat. It's so precious to hear. He has also begun doing the tantrum-y cry, which is not so precious. A few times a day, he makes farty noises with his lips and it is hysterical to listen to. He started doing it during Sunday dinner at Gregg's parents and entertained us all!

We've started him on solids and so far, he seems to like the baby food he's tried. The first few times Colton made a face like he just tasted a lemon, but he got used to it pretty quickly. I was surprised when he actually ate an entire jar of sweet potatoes with no protesting. It made his poop orange, though. I can't wait until he has peas for the first time. :)

I've had to put more clothes away that he can't fit into anymore. Colton's already into size 3 diapers and wearing 6-9 month clothes. There are still some 3-6 month outfits that he hasn't outgrown yet. I don't understand the way they size different clothes, because he fits into some outfits in his age range no problem but others are either really tight or too short on him. Anyway, his hair is finally growing! After he lost his newborn hair, it took forever to come back in. It's now a lot lighter than it was when he was born. I wonder if he'll be a blondie like I was as a baby. He still has those beautiful blue eyes, and I hope they stay that way a little longer.

Gotta go get ready for bed... I mean, I have to go get Colton ready for bed now.

No comments: