Monday, March 30, 2009

The Other Man In My Life

I've noticed that my posts lately have pretty much ALL been about Colton and his daily activities & such. My poor husband has taken a backseat in the last few months. So I wanted this post to be one big shout-out to my hubby, Gregg.

What can I say? I'll start out with the obvious: he is a wonderful husband and father. He is thoughtful and always ready & willing to lend a helping hand to a friend or family member. He is great at explaining things, especially to me who often has blonde moments where I "just don't get it". He is not afraid of standing up for what he believes in, including God's truths. That's something I really admired about him from the start, since I'm a wimp when it comes to expressing how I feel when it might hurt someone else's feelings.

This photo is from early on in our relationship, taken the same weekend that he first told me he loved me.

















Somewhere around the 25th of August, 2002.

Almost exactly one month later, he proposed. We were married six years, two months, and 19 days ago on a very chilly January afternoon. There is a very long story about why we got hitched during the coldest month of the year. Ask me to recount it sometime when you have nothing else to do but sit down and read about the on-going drama with my immediate family.

What I liked from the very beginning was that Gregg never fooled around in our relationship, meaning that he was always clear about his intentions. He knew he wanted me and he pursued me. He was the one who wanted to get engaged and married so quickly, actually. He said he knew he had found the one for him, so why wait any longer?

He really is a go-getter and not content to settle for second best. But he has been patient with me during our marriage when I sort of "lag behind him". He's also been patient through my many failed cooking attempts (he still teases me about the first meal I ever made for us- it was out of a box and I still screwed it up), hesitance to try new things, and rigidity when plans don't go the way I want them.

Gregg works hard every day to provide for us, being away from home sometimes for twelve hours (we're working on finding a place closer to where he works so he won't have as much of a commute). When he comes home at night, he doesn't bring the problems at the office home with him. He plugs right in to whatever Colton and I are doing, and cleans up after dinner while I put the baby to bed.

A lot of people might think that my husband is very serious, but the truth is that he is a total goof. One of my favorite memories of him is from the beginning of last summer when we were driving home from church on a Sunday afternoon and the song "4 Minutes" by Justin Timberlake & Madonna came on the radio. Gregg rolled down the windows in the car, turned up the volume full blast and began singing along, beeping the horn in certain parts. This was still when we lived in Chambersburg, one of the most conservative towns in the Northeast. I laughed so hard I almost peed (which would have been very easy to do since I was 7 months pregnant). I imagined all these little old ladies just getting out of church and seeing us drive by in our minivan with our "club" going.

With a baby our dates these days are few and far between, but we find time here and there to reconnect and have fun by ourselves. We'll play different games on our Wii during the weekend. Gregg's parents got him a Wii station for Christmas, and it is such a blast. We also enjoy snuggling on the couch or in bed watching our favorite tv programs after Colton's down for the night.

Here's a picture of my hubby with his little boy:


I love you, honey! You're the best!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a sweet post about your hubby!

I think you definitely need to tell us the story about why you got married in January now :-)