Monday, April 27, 2009

Heatwave

Who knew we would have a heatwave in April?? It was in the high 80s and low 90s over Saturday and Sunday, and we were completely unprepared for it. I had to go digging in a box for some short sleeves, which I hadn't worn in almost two years since last summer I was wearing all maternity clothes. We finally caved in and turned on the air conditioner yesterday after coming home from Gregg's parents', because the temperature in the house had gotten up to almost 90 degrees!

Despite the heat, we still managed to have a pretty nice weekend. On Saturday we went by my mom's for dinner as planned. Colton didn't have a good nap in the afternoon (figures), and earlier that day he ate one too many Cheerios or something and threw up his entire breakfast all over himself, me, and the high chair. Then about an hour before we were supposed to leave, he was sitting in his bouncy seat and rocked back & forth so hard that it went over and fell on top of him. He wasn't hurt thankfully, but he gave himself (and me) a real good scare. Needless to say, we're not using the bouncer anymore. I felt like I deserved the world's worst mother award that day. I almost called my mom to tell her we weren't coming.

But around three, we ended up leaving anyway. Colton was cranky from the second we walked in and dinner wasn't ready until shortly after six, even though my mom had gotten several Italian covered dishes which only needed to be reheated in the oven. It was so uncomfortable in their house since she wouldn't turn on the air, but kept insisting that all of us go outside on the deck where there was a breeze.

While I was eating, my mom came over and offered to babysit for Colton sometime when Gregg and I want to go out. I looked at her like she was crazy. In fact, I almost said those very words out loud. My mother's house is not baby/kid friendly at all. She is never of any help to me with him, either when we go there to visit or she comes here. When we still lived in PA and she was visiting for the weekend, she admitted she didn't even know how to feed him a bottle or put him in the bouncer. There is no way I would ever leave Colton alone with my mom because she doesn't know how to take care of him. I'm really surprised that my sister and I actually turned out as normal as we are.

The only saving grace of this visit was getting to see my sister and stepsister. Since my mom unfortunately always makes Gregg feel so unwelcome at her house, it was good for him to interact with my brother-in-law, Bill, and Willie, my stepsister's husband. Colton enjoyed the attention he got from everyone, especially my stepsister's kids who played with him and fed him Puffs. After being passed around like a bag of chips for three hours however, he desperately needed to go to sleep. We left a little bit after seven since we were also both pretty spent ourselves, and took a plate of desserts home since we didn't get to eat any there.

Yesterday afternoon, Gregg's aunt, uncle, and cousins joined the usual Sunday dinner crowd at his parents since we were celebrating two anniversaries and two birthdays. It is amazing the difference between my mother's home and my in-laws'. Since my MIL watches our two year old niece, she has a crib, a high chair, and changing table which is fully stocked. She even has a supply of formula, diapers, and baby food for Colton so we don't have to bring all that stuff with us every time we come. It's hard enough to pack up a baby and go somewhere without worrying where you're going to change him or where he'll take a nap. The time we were over at my mom's in February, she said we should come more often. My response to that was, we would if you'd make your house a little more baby friendly!

During the visit to my mother's Saturday, both my sister and stepfather asked when we were going to have another baby. I told them both the same thing: probably not for another two years at least, please let me get through this first year with Colton. I am nowhere close to wanting a second child right now. To facing another nine months of nausea, constipation, soreness, restless sleep and irritability that will end with another painful surgery. And possibly another bout of depression and anxiety. Only this time it will be with a toddler in tow.

I never wanted to be that woman who poo poos the idea of having a second kid after only one. Sometimes I wish I could be like Mrs. Duggar, and wholeheartedly embrace the idea of having 18 children (and then actually have all 18 of those kids). Yes I agree with her that children are a blessing from the Lord, but that doesn't mean I want to have 18!! I'm struggling with the concept of having two.

Anyway, it'll be a while yet before I have to think about being pregnant again. Currently I'm sitting here in the air conditioning hoping this heat breaks soon. I wanted it to get warmer, but not like this!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I hear you on the waiting a while (if ever)to have more children...can't we just enjoy this first one for a while!?!?!?

Darling pics of him in the previous post ( :