Tuesday, January 30, 2007

One Year Later

After a beautiful spring-like weekend the cold weather crept in like a thief Sunday night, leaving us with temperatures of 35 degrees yesterday and today. Even for a Northerner like me, that’s COLD. It later warmed up to about 55 in the afternoon.

I left for work yesterday morning with my jacket zipped all the way up to my chin and a travel mug full of freshly brewed, piping hot coffee which I sipped during my half hour commute. Something about warm flavored coffee on a cold morning just puts me in a good mood. It relaxes me and helps me focus better, even if it is decaf. This morning, we ran out of creamer and there is no more milk in the house, so I went without. My whole way to work I wished I had that nice comforting cup o’ joe with me, but I’m not going to drink it black. That’s just never gonna happen.

Last night was Gregg’s Sound & Vision dinner for new volunteers. We were going to have it in the Pavilion at the edge of church campus, but since it was downright chilly we moved it into the music room in the education building. After going home to change and let the dog out, I showed up around 5:20 to help Gregg get set up. We had it catered by Sonny’s BBQ which was much, much easier than trying to do everything by ourselves like the last time. It turned out to be an even better deal than we thought, too. They didn’t have the order ready when he went to pick it up, so to smooth things over, they gave him a complimentary dinner for two. Score!

The dinner went very, very well. Everyone enjoyed and was impressed with the selection of food, and they showed a lot of interest in volunteering for areas which Gregg really needs help in. Afterwards, there was enough food left over to feed an army. We put most of it in the church refrigerator and made a few plates to take home. One of Gregg’s volunteers & his family stayed to help clean up and we were out of there by 9:15. When we came home, we took Tess for a walk and the whole way Gregg talked excitedly about the great response he got.

I was very happy to see him so encouraged. Every week he pours himself into this job and the volunteers which he already has, and it’s wonderful that he is seeing the return of his investment. He really is in his element. This morning I told him it was one year ago today that he was offered the position of Minister of Technology with Covenant. It’s hard to believe that was a whole year ago. He called me at work late in the morning that day and told me the news we had been waiting two weeks to hear. We were moving to Florida!!

That began the whirlwind process of finding a place to live, packing up all of our belongings, and saying good-bye to family & friends. Just three weeks later, we arrived here in Palm Bay ready to begin a new life. We were so ready to leave the crushed dreams of the past behind. Three years of one disappointment after another where it seemed as if some invisible force was preventing us from moving ahead. The stress and frustration of running a business that put out very little return for all the work and money we invested into it. All the waiting, hoping, praying and wondering what God what was up to was a long and difficult journey, one that aged us. I know now that was Him testing our faith, maturing us and getting us ready for what lay ahead.

It’s hard to describe the vast difference between living back in New Jersey and living here. Over the past year, I’ve seen my husband come alive with passion for his work and settle down and just enjoy life. I feel like I have him back, in many respects. It’s brought a lot of positive changes to our marriage that I am very grateful for.

God has certainly blessed the broken road that led us here.

No comments: